Full-time, Tenure-Track Faculty Position in
International Liberal Arts, Global Business Program
Akita International University (AIU)
The AIU Faculty of International Liberal Arts invites applications for a tenure-track position in its Global Business program at the Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor level, beginning September 1, 2017.
Akita International University was founded in 2004 as the first public university corporation in Japan. The university offers an all English-medium education in international liberal arts designed to prepare its students for responsible leadership in a globalized age. Located in Akita, Japan, the school operates on a semester calendar with an intensive winter program between semesters. All AIU students must spend one full academic year studying abroad, and each year, roughly one quarter of its students are from one of the school’s 182 exchange partner institutions. In all, the university serves about 900 undergraduates and approximately 60 graduate students. For more details about the school, visit the website at http://web.aiu.ac.jp/en/about/.
The Global Business Program, which offers an undergraduate curriculum in business and economics, is searching for broadly educated and experienced faculty candidates with a passion for classroom teaching and scholarly research. As a Liberal Arts College, our interest is in helping students, who are interested in studying business, develop a strong grounding in economics and mathematics, and a philosophical appreciation for the wider implications of a business oriented career in an increasingly diverse, globalized, and digitalized world. We expect our graduates to be able to examine the world around them through a global lens and to develop enterprises and business models to create the society of tomorrow. We seek faculty who can help equip our students with the theoretical models and practical tools to tackle global issues such as ethical economic development and environmental sustainability.
The successful applicants will teach approximately 18 credits per year. The teaching load includes courses at intermediate and advanced undergraduate levels, and conducting a capstone seminar in relevant aspects of business. As a Japan-based university, we are particularly interested in engaging our students in examination of business and economics issues as they are manifested in this country. We seek candidates who possess the ability to foster disciplined inquiry and discussion among a very diverse student population on a wide range of related issues. Additionally, as a small international liberal arts college, AIU seeks to foster close collaboration with colleagues across the range of the university’s programs.
We seek an individual who can teach compelling classes in a number of the following areas.
- Strategic Management, Mergers and Acquisitions
- International Business, Legal Environments, and Competition Policies
- Human Resources Management and Diversity
- Japanese Business in The Global Era
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Eco-Business and Sustainability
Please note that all courses are taught in English at AIU.
- A doctorate degree in a related field, or an MBA and business experience, or a distinguished business career
- Strong quantitative analysis skills
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to teach and conduct courses at a high level in English
- A commitment to liberal arts education
- Teaching experience at the university level
- Scholarly achievement as evidenced in conference presentations and peer-reviewed publications
- Familiarity with econometric software such as OxMetrics, Stata, EViews or SPSS
- Experience living or working in Japan and familiarity with Japanese culture
- Experience working in multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environments
- Teach undergraduate courses in the areas indicated above. Specific teaching assignments will be determined in consultation with the program supervisor and in consideration of the successful candidates’ specific areas of expertise.
- Advise individual undergraduate students
- Engage in scholarly activities leading to presentation and publication
- Participate in service to the university, program, and community
- Collaborate with faculty and staff on program development
The initial appointment is based on a three-year, fixed-term contract. The contract is renewable up to two times, and tenure is possible. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Generous benefits are also included as part of the remuneration, including partial housing allowance, health insurance, and a research fund allowance.
To be considered for the position, please complete the online application form and upload the following documents through the URL below
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- PDF copies of up to three recent publications
- Statements of Teaching philosophy and teaching interests
- Statements of Research interests
- Syllabi for two courses that you do or could teach in the areas indicated in the list above
- Names and email contact information for three current references.
Application form: http://web.aiu.ac.jp/global/gb2017
Screening of applicants will begin on February 1, 2017, but applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. After the initial screening, some candidates may be contacted via Skype. Short-listed candidates will then be invited to AIU for an interview, a teaching demonstration, and a chance to see the campus and the community.
Documents submitted in support of your application will only be used for the purpose of making a selection decision. Unfortunately, we are unable to return documents submitted as part of this process.