All applicants who wish to apply for AIU Summer Program must meet all of the following requirements:
- Applicants must be enrolled at their home institution both at the time of application and during their stay at AIU, and have at least two semesters of grades from that institution on their transcript at the time of application.
- Students who have participated in any AIU program before are not eligible to apply for the Summer Program.
- Applicants must have a cumulative GPA (Grade Point Average) of 2.50 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Non-native speakers of English must submit proof of language ability that meets the minimum standards below:
|International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)||5.0 or above|
|American Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL®Test)||500 or above (PBT)
61 or above (iBT)
|Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC®Test)||630 or above|
If you wish to submit a certificate other than those listed above, please have your home institution contact AIU's Center for International Affairs prior to application.
Step by Step Application Procedures
Step 1. Nomination
For Students from one of AIU’s Partner Universities:
*For Partner Universities: Please contact AIU at firstname.lastname@example.org and check seat availability before nominating your student(s).
*For Students: In order to start the application procedure, applicants must be nominated by their home university. After applicants are officially nominated by their home university, AIU sends their home university a username and password to access the AIU online application system.
For Non-Exchange (Independent Fee-Paying) Students from Non-Partner Universities: In order to start the application procedure, applicants must contact AIU by E-mail at email@example.com for instructions to begin the nomination and application process.
Step 2. Online Application
After the applicant receives a username and password from the home university (partner university students) or from AIU (non-partner university students), he or she must access our Online Application System at https://abroad.aiu.ac.jp and complete the Online Application Form. It is very important that the applicant provide accurate information on the application form because it will be used for the immigration documents, acceptance letter, and AIU registration.
Step 3. Submission of Required Documents
The original documents listed below must reach AIU's Center for International Affairs by no later than Friday, March 10, 2017, by traceable international post (e.g. EMS) or courier. Applications that fail to reach us by the above deadline will not be accepted. Additionally, incomplete applications, including applications submitted online that are missing the required original documents, will not be processed.
All documents must be written in English. If you submit a document written in another language, you must attach an English translation.
1) Completed "Confirmation Sheet" and "Certification and Consent"
After you fill out our “Online Application Form” and click “Confirm,” you will be taken to the “Online Application Confirmation Sheet.” Click “Print” to print out this “Online Application Confirmation Sheet.” The “Certification and Consent” page will print automatically with your “Online Application Confirmation Sheet.” Fill out the “Certification and Consent” by hand and attach a 4.0 cm high by 3.0 cm wide, ID-style photo where indicated. After printing out the Confirmation Sheet, you must click “Submit” to complete your online application.
2) Official Academic Transcript from Home University (Copies cannot be accepted)
3) Personal Statement of Purpose (300-500 words)
4) Reference Form (2 pages each) : You can download the "Reference Form" here.
Please give this form to someone familiar with your current academic performance and progress (e.g. academic adviser or current professor) to fill out.
*Partner University Students: Submit ONE Reference Form.
*Non-Partner University Students: Submit TWO Reference Forms.
5) Proof of English language proficiency (if applicable)
*Please refer to the "Acceptable Certificates" mentioned above.
6) Copies of the following 2 pages of your passport
- Front Cover of the passport AND
- Page with your photograph and biographical details
All applicants will be informed of the results of their applications, and successful applicants will receive an official letter of acceptance by the second week of April 2017, after the selection process by the AIU selection committee. Please note that exchange students from our partner institutions will be given priority for admission over non-exchange students due to the limited capacity of the program. The maximum number of students for Summer Program 2017 is 40.
TOEFL and TOEIC are registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service (ETS). This web page is not endorsed or approved by ETS.