申し訳ありません、このコンテンツはただ今 English のみです。
Adjunct Instructor needed to join our undergraduate Liberal Arts English Faculty
Akita International University (AIU), located in Akita, Japan, is currently seeking a qualified applicant to teach in our English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program on a one year non-renewable contract from April 1st, 2019 through March 31st, 2020. We would especially encourage faculty from our partner institutions or others who are interested in teaching in Japan as part of a sabbatical to apply.
AIU opened in 2004 as the first public ‘university corporation’ in Japan and, in recent years, it has been receiving growing attention from leading companies, other higher educational institutions and the mass media, for its unique education policy. The University is committed to the provision of a full international liberal arts curriculum and all the undergraduate teaching is conducted entirely in English (with the exception of the Japanese language program). All students are also required to spend a minimum of one year studying abroad at one of our 191 overseas exchange partners. Currently there are about 800 Japan-based undergraduate students and 200 short-term international exchange students from all over the world enrolled in the university. For more information please refer to https://web.aiu.ac.jp/.
English courses clearly play a fundamental role in the students’ education at AIU from their freshman year until they graduate. All incoming freshmen (with the exception of a few native/near-native students who have received a significant portion of their prior education in English) take preparatory academic courses in speaking and listening, reading, and writing and stay in the intensive English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program until they have sufficient mastery of the language to move on to take various liberal arts courses in the Basic Education program. And, even after completing the EAP program, students are required to take Academic Reading across Disciplines as well as Composition I and Composition II – Introduction to Research Writing.
AIU is looking for vibrant candidates with a passion for, and record of achievement in, classroom teaching. To this end, it welcomes applications from candidates who have an M.A. or doctorate in a relevant field, e.g., SLA, TESOL, Linguistics or Applied Linguistics.
In addition to a salary commensurate with experience, the position provides generous benefits. These benefits include free on campus housing for the duration of the contract.
Qualifications for the position:
• M.A. or doctorate in SLA, TESOL, linguistics or Applied Linguistics with clear evidence of coursework and relevant capstone, thesis or dissertation.
• A record of excellent teaching in EFL or ESL programs and skills in using modern teaching technology.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Prior experience of living or working in a multi-cultural environment, and knowledge of Japanese language and/or culture.
• Teach undergraduate courses in EAP and possibly contribute to other English courses in Basic Education during the spring, fall, and winter programs. The total teaching assignment will not exceed 24 credit hours over the course of the three terms.
• Collaborate with colleagues on program development as necessary.
• Work effectively and collegially in a multicultural learning environment.
• Attend department meetings and skills committee meetings as designated by the director of the EAP program.
Qualified applicants should submit the following documents to the address below. Email submissions are acceptable.
1. A letter of application,
2. Curriculum Vitae,
3. A statement of teaching philosophy,
4. A list of courses previously taught,
5. Contact information for three current references,
6. Unofficial transcripts of all graduate school coursework.
Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
After the initial screening, some candidates may be contacted via Skype. Short-listed candidates will be asked to submit a short video of a lesson that he or she recently taught.
English Faculty Search Committee
c/o Office of Faculty and Staff Support
Akita International University
Yuwa, Akita-city 010-1292 JAPAN
TEL: +81-18-886-5929 FAX: +81-18-886-5910
Please be advised that we will not return your application documents and those documents will be used for selecting a qualified candidate only.