The screening of successful applicants will be based only through documents submitted. Candidates must submit the necessary Application Forms, Personal Statement and Study Plan, Letters of Recommendation, and documents verifying language proficiency (listed below).
Special Measures regarding COVID-19
Due to the spread of COVID-19, test-taking opportunities have been limited in many parts of the world. In consideration of the situation, the following temporary measures will be taken for Fall and Winter Screening 2020 and Spring Screening 2021:
- The scores of TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition test will be regarded equivalent to those of the normal test.
- The two-year validation period of scores/certificates for language proficiency test(s) will be extended to three years.
- An online interview test with a faculty member can replace the submission of a test score/certificate.
Conditions for Application
Contents in red are temporary measures that are in place in consideration of the current COVID-19 situation. See above for details.
|Programs||Preferred Language Proficiency Level upon Application|
|English Language Teaching Practices||TOEFL iBT®TEST 88, TOEFL®PBT TEST 570, or an equivalent level of English demonstrated by another English test such as TOEIC®L&R 820, IELTS™ 6.5, Cambridge English Test CPE, and STEP 1st level.|
|Japanese Language Teaching Practices||Native Speaker of Japanese (Must meet 1) or 2) of the requirements below)
1) TOEFL iBT®TEST 71, TOEFL®PBT TEST 530, or an equivalent level of English demonstrated by another English test, such as TOEIC®L&R 750, IELTS™ 6.0, and STEP Pre-1st level.
2）Must meet both of the following requirements
-TOEFL iBT®TEST 61, TOEFL®PBT TEST 500, or an equivalent level of English demonstrated by another English test, such as TOEIC®L&R 700, IELTS™ 6.0, and STEP Pre-1st level.
-Those who demonstrated proficiency by language test other than English. TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) 5th level, HSK (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) 5th level, or CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference of Languages) C1 level.
Non-Native Speaker of Japanese (Must meet both of the requirements below)
1) TOEFL iBT®TEST 61, TOEFL®PBT TEST 500, or an equivalent level of English demonstrated by another English test, such as TOEIC®L&R 700, IELTS™ 6.0, and STEP Pre-1st level.
2) JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) 1st-level, or N1 level.
|Global Communication Practices||TOEFL iBT®TEST 79, TOEFL®PBT TEST 550 or an equivalent level of English demonstrated by another English test, such as TOEIC®L&R 800, IELTS™ 6.5, Cambridge English Test CAE, and STEP 1st level.|
Documents to be Submitted
- Application Forms
- Personal Statement and Study Plan
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Resume (CV)
- Certificate of undergraduate graduation or a certificate of your bachelor’s degree
- Document which verifies your language proficiency
April 2021 Admission
September 2021 Admission
Matriculation Fee & Tuition
Details about our matriculation fee & tuition are available at the following webpage.
Schedule for Application, Selection, and Matriculation
Application Periods are scheduled as follows: (Approximately 10 successful applicants each period)
of Successful Applicants
|Matriculation Procedures for
|October 26||October 27-
|December 7-18, 2020||January 14,
|January 18-29||April or
|April 26- May 7, 2021||May 21||May 24- June 4||September, 2021|
*JLT accepts new students only in September.
Interview before application:
In order to be sure that AIU is indeed the right university for students, we strongly recommend prospective students to have an interview with an AIU faculty member before formally applying. Please complete this online form to book an interview.
Tel. +81-18-886-5931 / Fax. +81-18-886-5910 / Email. firstname.lastname@example.org