Philosophy / Message
International Liberal Arts
Akita International University established International Liberal Arts, a new educational brand in the global era, through incorporation of global perspectives into its educational programs and activities, emphasis on the importance of implementing the whole curriculum in English and being able to understand people from all over the world, provision of a broad international academic exchange network, compulsory study abroad, creation of academic environment and living space for multicultural students on campus, and development and promotion of the spirit of liberal arts education throughout the University.
Educational philosophy represented by the University’s name
Mineo Nakajima, the first president of AIU, left his scribbled proposal for the University’s name.
“A university aiming at the establishment of rich liberal arts education disappeared from the higher education system in Japan and development of practical foreign language communication skills”
We can imagine the process of focusing on his idea and philosophy in considering many proposals.
With its innovative international liberal arts educational philosophy, Akita International University’s mission is to prepare students to be leaders in global society; to be people who have established a strong sense of self, who are able to rise to the challenges of the times with integrity and passion, and who commit themselves to serving their local community and the world.
- A command of English and other world languages that enables effective engagement and collaboration with people from multiple cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- A broad knowledge of world cultures, human societies and the natural world
- A nuanced understanding of one’s own cultural and self-identity
- A multi-dimensional appreciation of and the complex issues of our times
- The intellectual and practical skills necessary for disciplined observation and reasoning, principled inquiry, reflection, and thoughtful action
- The ability to integrate knowledge from multiple disciplines and resources
- The capacity for creative, autonomous thought and the ability to make independent, informed decisions
- A sense of personal and social responsibility that stems from leads to active civic engagement at local and global levels
Be a Global Leader!
We live in an era of globalization in which multifaceted exchanges transcend national borders, cultures, and languages. Information travels across the globe in the blink of an eye, making our lives more convenient. At the same time, it is becoming increasingly difficult to discern where to stand on issues and what paths to take.
In such an era of uncertainty about the future, not many people may want to become leaders. That is why we continue to send out the message, “Be a Global Leader!”
We do so because this message shows us how to face up to difficulties, how to relate to those around us, and beyond that, how to live our lives.
In order to lead a chaotic society that is full of diverse values, leaders must have the ability to recognize others and boldly undertake problems for which there are no fixed answers.
On this campus, where you will be exposed to different cultures during your studies and in every aspect of your life, the skills you develop as you challenge yourself day after day will become the strength to pioneer the future.
AIU will take you from a small classroom in Akita to the global stage.
Be a Global Leader!