- Oct, 1998
- Council for Enhancement of Higher Education in Akita founded.
(Chairperson: Kumiko BANDO, Vice Governor, Akita Prefecture)
- Apr, 2000
- Research and Reviewing Committee founded.
(Chairperson: Mineo NAKAJIMA, President, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies)
- Mar, 2002
- International University Founding and Preparatory Committee formed.
(Chairperson: Mineo NAKAJIMA, Secretary General, UMAP International Office)
- Nov, 2003
- Establishment of AIU was approved by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).
- Apr, 2004
- Opening AIU, and the establishment of AIU as a public university corporation was approved by MEXT and The Ministry of Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and Telecommunications (MPHPT).
(The first Chair of the Board/President: Dr. Mineo NAKAJIMA）
- Feb, 2005
- Center for Regional Sustainability Initiatives (CRESI) founded.
- Jul, 2005
- Satellite Center of Center for Independent Language Learning (CILL) founded.
- Apr, 2006
- Enrollment also expanded from 100 to 130.
- Jun, 2007
- Construction completed on“Global Village”Student apartments.
- Mar, 2008
1st Commencement Ceremony of Undergraduate School.
Construction completed on the new Library.
- Apr, 2008
- Teacher’s License Program started. Language Development and Intercultural Studies Center (LDIC) founded.
Enrollment expanded from 130 to 150 students.
- Sep, 2008
- Professional Graduate School, which offers Graduate Program of Global Communication and Language, opened. (Capacity: 30 students)
- Dec, 2008
- Construction completed on the Lecture Hall (Building D).
- Mar, 2010
- Construction completed on the Multipurpose Hall.
5th Anniversary Commemorative Ceremony
- Apr, 2011
- Enrollment expanded from 150 to 175 students.
- Jan, 2012
- Center for East Asia Research (CEAR) founded.
- Mar, 2013
- Construction completed on “Sakura Village” Student apartments.
- Sep, 2013
- Active Learning Support Center (ALSC) founded.
Center for Promotion of International Liberal Arts Education (CPILAE) founded.
- Sep, 2014
- Selected as the Top Global University Project (MEXT)
- Nov, 2014
- 10th Anniversary Commemorative Ceremony
Rename of facilities: Nakajima Library (former AIU Library) and Suda Hall (former Multi-Purpose Hall)
- Apr, 2015
- Institute for Asian Studies and Regional Collaboration (IASRC) founded.
(joint Institute of former CRESI and CEAR)
- Sep, 2015
- Construction completed on Center for Student Initiatives (Building I).
- Sep, 2016
- Institute for Promotion of International Liberal Arts Education founded.
- Mar, 2017
- Satellite Center integrated into LDIC.