Short-Term Programs

Medical Preparation

Medical Information Form

All admitted students are required to submit a completed Medical Information Form, which is available on your AIU Online System account after you are accepted. The information provided will be used exclusively for student health care and for providing necessary information to medical personnel and/or a hospital in the case of an emergency. All information will be kept confidential.

Support on AIU Campus

Health and Medical Care Room

The Health and Medical Care Room is located in Building E. It provides first-aid treatment for minor illnesses and injuries. If a student's illness or injury requires more care than can be provided at AIU, the Health and Medical Care Room will refer the student to a nearby medical institution.

Students will experience stress until they are accustomed to their life away from home and to the environment of the university. This stress can weaken the immune system and cause students to catch colds or other illnesses more easily than usual. Students are encouraged to visit this facility whenever needed.

Personal Counseling

The Counseling Room is in Building E and AIU's professional counselors can assist students in English or Japanese. Counselors offer assistance for academic-related matters, interpersonal relationships, and culture shock. Students are encouraged to visit this facility whenever feeling the need to talk with someone. Counseling is provided on a reservation basis and privacy is strictly protected. There is a daily schedule on the counseling room door indicating which times are free for walk-ins.

If you wish to contact the Health and Medical Care Room or our counselor before arrival, please contact us by E-mail at

Bringing Medications

Preparing to Bring Medication to Japan

Students who intend to bring medications or continue using medications in Japan should prepare to bring all required medicines with them upon arrival, as it may be difficult or impossible to acquire the same medicines in Japan.

However, it is illegal to bring some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States or other countries to Japan, including some inhalers, allergy, and sinus medications. Some foreign prescription medications cannot be imported into Japan, even when accompanied by a customs declaration and a copy of the prescription. To find out which medications are permitted or prohibited, please consult the Embassy or Consulate of Japan nearest your home or the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare (link below) for details. Please understand that it is your sole responsibility to make sure that the medication you plan to bring with you is legal and that you follow all proper procedures to bring it.

In the event that your prescription or over-the-counter medication cannot be brought into Japan, you should consult with your physician to switch to a legal alternative and give yourself sufficient time to adjust to your new medication before leaving your home country. Any students taking medication are highly encouraged to contact the Japanese Embassy in your country as soon as possible to confirm whether you will be allowed to bring the particular medication into Japan.

Required Documentation for Bringing Prescription Medication to Japan

If you plan to bring more than 1-month's supply of any medication, you will need a "Yunyu Kakunin-sho" issued by a Pharmaceutical Inspector in Japan and you will have to apply in advance by post for this certificate. The application process generally takes at least two weeks, so please follow the instructions on the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare website to apply in time for your Yunyu Kakunin-sho. Be sure to download the "Q&A for those who are bringing medicines into Japan" from the web page above in word or pdf format, as that document includes the Yunyu Kakunin-sho application procedures and forms.

You can also find a list of controlled medications (by component name) on the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare website at this link. The page is in Japanese, but if you scroll to the bottom, you will find a link to an English PDF file titled "Import/Export Narcotics by carrying[PDF]" in section 5.(2). All medications listed in this document can be hand-carried into Japan only by the patient with a prescription and Yunyu Kakunin-sho. They may not be sent by post or carried by anyone else. So please be sure that you bring enough with you to cover your entire stay in Japan.

Should you have any inquiries about the Yunyu Kakunin-sho application, please contact us at .

Bringing Your Medications to Japan

Please bring a sufficient supply of all medication you will need in the original containers, clearly labeled. You should also carry a signed, dated letter from your physician describing your medical condition and listing all medications prescribed to you (including generic names) in your carry-on luggage to present to customs inspectors on arrival. If you need to carry syringes or needles, be sure to carry a physician’s letter documenting in detail their medical necessity. Pack all medications in your carry-on luggage and carry an additional supply of prescription medicines in your checked luggage.

Center for International Affairs
Akita International University
Yuwa, Akita-City 010-1292 Japan
Tel. +81-(0)18-886-5936, +81-(0)18-886-5937
Fax. +81-(0)18-886-5853
Inbound Students :
Outbound Students :
Office Hours (Mon - Fri) 9:00 - 12:00 and 13:00 - 17:00