Please refer to the “Application Timeline” page for the Nomination and Application Periods.
Our application procedure consists of three parts:
- Step I: Online Nomination *submitted by home institution.
- Step II: Online Application *submitted by nominated student.
- Step III: Application Submission
Please click here for the Application Process Timeline.
Step I: Online Nomination
All applicants must be nominated by their home institutions prior to the deadline above. Nominations received after the deadline may not be accepted.
Students from Partner Institutions:
Please contact your home institution study abroad office for information about your institution's nomination procedures. After you are officially nominated by your home institution, AIU will send your home institution a username and password for you to access the online application system. Be sure to get this information from them to start your application.
All Other Students:
Please contact AIU by email at email@example.com and send us the name, title, and email address of your study abroad advisor to begin the nomination and application process.
Step II: Online Application
After you receive your username and password from your home institution, you
must complete our Online Application Form from our
Online Application System.
The information in your application form must match your passport exactly because it will be used for your immigration documents, acceptance letter, and AIU registration.
Step III: Application Submission
After completing the online application, please scan all application documents and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Submission Deadline (Documents must arrive before the deadline)|
|Fall Semester Admission:||April 1|
|Spring Semester Admission:||November 1|
Applications that arrive after the deadline may not be processed. All documents must be written in English.
|1. Completed, signed Application Form||- Print the online application and make sure both you and your study abroad advisor sign the last page. (In case there is no International Office at your home institution, your academic advisor must complete this section.)|
|2. Original academic transcript in English||- Copies cannot be accepted|
International Student Reference Form
(2 pages) (Please click to download)
Partner Institution Students: 1 form
All Others: 2 forms
The Reference Form needs to be filled out by your academic advisor and/or the professor who best knows your academic abilities.
4. Proof of English Language Proficiency
(Non-native speakers, only)
- TOEFL, IELTS™, TOEIC score
- AIU-Approved Alternative: contact your study abroad office for details
5. Digital data of ID-style photo
(for Certificate of Eligibility application purposes)
- Taken within 3 months of submission
- At least 800 px x 600 px, jpg or png format
- Front-facing, showing from the shoulders up
- Clear, high resolution
- No hats, glasses, etc.
- Plain white background
- Color or grayscale is acceptable
*Please refer to the following webpage for the Photograph requirements.
|6. Photocopy of passport||
- A valid passport that covers the entire duration of your study abroad
- Information page(s): photo, name, etc.
- Entire page, including all edges, must be visible
- Used for confirmation and visa preparation
|7. Proof of Financial Resources||
Be sure to read instructions below
- Insufficient documents will NOT be accepted by the Immigration Services Agency.
Proof of Financial Resources
Acceptable Documents (Submit 1 and/or 2)
1. Bank Account Balance Statement
Required if you will be supported in whole or part by “personal savings” or a “financial supporter.”
- Must be dated no more than 1 month prior to submission.
- Account must belong to you or your financial sponsor.
Must show account holder’s name and balance
on the same page.
*Internet-printed statements are acceptable only when the account holder’s name and account balance are shown on the same page.
- Bank Name, Account holder’s name and Final balance amount must be highlighted.
- Must be in English or accompanied by a translation.
- If you do not wish to disclose the balance, a letter from the bank certifying that you have at least the minimum amount of funds, according to the table below, with an original signature or bank official stamp is acceptable. The amount from the table must be specified in the letter.
2. Proof of Scholarship/ Financial Aid/ Student Loan/ etc.
Required if you will be supported in whole or part by “scholarship/ financial aid.”
- Must show the amount and period of award.
- Must show that you are the recipient and that the award is final.
- Recipient’s name, Total amount, and Period of Award must be highlighted.
- Award must be for the semester(s) you will be at AIU. Scholarship letters from previous terms CANNOT be accepted.
- Must be in English or accompanied by a translation.
The Following Documents are Not Acceptable
- Salary letters or statements of income
- Tax records
- Credit card statements
- Stock certificates, real property, or corporate assets, which may lose value, or property that cannot be converted into cash
To meet Immigration Services Agency standards for student visa processing, your Proof of Financial Resources must show at least the minimum amount listed in the chart below. Please be sure to convert your local currency into Japanese Yen (JPY).
(Including Partner Institutions)
|One semester||600,000 JPY||800,000 JPY|
|One semester + Winter Program||800,000 JPY||1,000,000 JPY|
|Two semesters||1,000,000 JPY||1,400,000 JPY|
|Two semesters + Winter Program||1,200,000 JPY||1,600,000 JPY|
If you have any questions about the validity of your documents, please contact AIU in advance.
For more information about the visa application process, please see our Immigration Information page.