The information on this page is for the usual application schedule and procedure.
The application procedures and timeline for the Spring 2022 Semester exchange are subject to change due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Please contact the AIU Inbound Exchange Team for the most up-to-date information regarding your application.
|Application Begins||Nomination Deadline||Application Deadline|
|Fall Semester Admission:||February 1||February 28||April 1|
|Spring Semester Admission:||September 1||September 30||November 1|
Our application procedure consists of three parts:
Please click here for the Application Process Timeline.
Step I: Nomination
All applicants must be nominated by their home institutions prior to the deadline above. Nominations received after the deadline may not be accepted.
Students from Partner Institutions:
Please contact your home institution study abroad office for information about your institution's nomination procedures. After you are officially nominated by your home institution, AIU will send your home institution a username and password for you to access the online application system. Be sure to get this information from them to start your application.
All Other Students:
Please contact AIU by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and send us the name, title, and email address of your study abroad advisor to begin the nomination and application process.
Step II: Online Application
After you receive your username and password from your home institution, you must complete our Online Application
Form from our Online Application System.
The information in your application form must match your passport exactly because it will be used for your immigration documents, acceptance letter, and AIU registration.
Step III: Hardcopy Application Submission
After completing the online application, submit the following hardcopy, original documents by post to AIU.
For Spring 2022 applications, please scan all application documents and email them to email@example.com.
|Submission Deadline (Documents must arrive before the deadline)|
|Fall Semester Admission:||April 1|
|Spring Semester Admission:||November 1|
Applications that arrive after the deadline may not be processed.
|1. Completed, signed Application Form||- Print online application and make sure both you and your advisor sign the last page|
|2. Original academic transcript||- Copies cannot be accepted|
Student Reference Form
(2 pages) (Please click to download)
|Partner Institution Students: 1 form
All Others: 2 forms
|4. Proof of English Language Proficiency
(Non-native speakers, only)
|- TOEFL, IELTS™, TOEIC score
- AIU-Approved Alternative: contact your study abroad office for details
|5. Digital data of ID-style photo||- Taken within 3 months of submission
- At least 800 px x 600 px, jpg or png format
- Front-facing, showing shoulders and up
- Clear, high resolution
- No hats, glasses, etc.
- Plain white background
- Color or grayscale is acceptable
|6. Photocopy of passport||- Information page(s): photo, name, etc.
- Entire page, including all edges, must be visible
- Used for confirmation and visa preparation
|7. Proof of Financial Resources||- Be
sure to read instructions below
- Insufficient documents will NOT be accepted by the Immigration Bureau.
Proof of Financial Resources
Acceptable Documents (Submit 1 and/or 2)
1. Bank Account Balance Statement
Required if you will be supported in whole or part by “personal savings” or a “financial supporter.”
- Must be dated no more than 1 month prior to submission.
- Account must belong to you or your financial sponsor.
- Must show account holder’s name and balance on the same
*Internet-printed statements are acceptable only when the account holder’s name and account balance are shown on the same page.
- Account holder’s name and Final balance amount must be highlighted.
- Must be in English or accompanied by a translation.
- If you do not wish to disclose the balance, a letter from the bank certifying that you have at least the minimum amount of funds, according to the table below, with an original signature or bank official stamp is acceptable. The amount from the table must be specified in the letter.
2. Proof of Scholarship/ Financial Aid/ Student Loan/ etc.
Required if you will be supported in whole or part by “scholarship/ financial aid.”
- Must show the amount and period of award.
- Must show that you are the recipient and that the award is final.
- Recipient’s name, Total amount, and Period of Award must be highlighted.
- Award must be for the semester(s) you will be at AIU. Scholarship letters from previous terms CANNOT be accepted.
- Must be in English or accompanied by a translation.
The Following Documents are Not Acceptable
- Salary letters or statements of income
- Tax records
- Credit card statements
- Stock certificates, real property, or corporate assets, which may lose value, or property that cannot be converted into cash
To meet Immigration Bureau standards for student visa processing, your Proof of Financial Resources must show at least the minimum amount listed in the chart below. Please be sure to convert your local currency into Japanese Yen (JPY).
|Exchange Students||Fee-Paying Students
(Including Partner Institutions)
|One semester||600,000 JPY||800,000 JPY|
|One semester + Winter Program||800,000 JPY||1,000,000 JPY|
|Two semesters||1,000,000 JPY||1,400,000 JPY|
|Two semesters + Winter Program||1,200,000 JPY||1,600,000 JPY|
If you have any questions about the validity of your documents, please contact AIU in advance.
For more information about the visa application process, please see our Immigration Information page.
Please send all documents by traceable international post (e.g. EMS) or courier to the following address:
Center for International Affairs
Akita International University
Yuwa, Akita-City 010-1292 Japan
TEL: 81-18-886-5937, FAX: 81-18-886-5853