Short-Term Programs

Visa and Entry to Japan

Your Visa is your permission to enter Japan and to obtain a Residence Status. As soon as you receive the Certificate of Eligibility through AIU, you should go to the nearest embassy or consulate of Japan in your home country to apply for your visa. Please contact the embassy/consulate in advance to find out what other documents are required for the application in your country.

Important: You are solely responsible for applying for a Student Visa and obtaining it before traveling to Japan.

Visa Application Form FAQ

When completing the visa application form, there are a few sections that generally do not apply to student visa applicants who have a Certificate of Eligibility. For each of the sections below, please contact the embassy or consulate where you will submit your application to ask for specific instructions.

In general, since you are applying for a student visa and you have a CoE, you should be able to fill in the application items as follows:

  • Names and addresses of hotels or persons with whom applicant intends to stay:
    Write "Akita International University" for the name and the university's address and phone number. (See the entries in the sample form below for details.)
  • Guarantor or reference in Japan(Please provide details of the guarantor or the person to be visited in Japan):
    This is not applicable for students. You should be able to leave it blank.
  • Inviter in Japan(Please write 'same as above' if the inviting person and the guarantor are the same):
    Write "Akita International University" for the name and the university's address and phone number. Fill in "Accepting University" for the relationship and leave all other fields blank (See the entries in the sample form below for details.)

Important: The instructions above and in the sample application form entries are based on the responses that have worked for almost all students in the past. Not every embassy or consulate is consistent in the way that it processes this application form. It is your responsibility to contact the embassy or consulate directly and ensure the same instructions are valid for your application.

Step 3: Landing Permit and Residence Card

Once you arrive in Japan with your Student Visa and pass through immigration, you will be given a Student Residence Status. This is your permission to stay in Japan as a student. At this point, your Student Visa is no longer important- regardless of whether it is a single- or multiple-entry visa. The Residence Status is all that matters.

At the airport, you will receive a Landing Permission Seal in your passport that shows how long you may stay in Japan. If you arrive at one of the airports listed below, then you will also receive your Residence Card at the airport. If you arrive at any other airport, you will receive your Residence Card later, after you complete your residence registration paperwork during orientation. Don't worry, we'll help you with that.

Important: Once you have your Residence Card, then your visa expiration date and landing seal expiration date are no longer important, so you can ignore those.

Airports that Issue Residence Cards:

  • Narita International Airport
  • Tokyo International Airport (Haneda)
  • Kansai International Airport (in Osaka)
  • Chubu Centrair International Airport (in Nagoya)
  • New Chitose Airport (in Sapporo)
  • Hiroshima Airport
  • Fukuoka Airport

If you wish, you will be able to obtain a Work Permit on your arrival at the airport. Please read the webpage about the Work Permit and Re-entry Permit.

You must carry the Residence Card at all times as your ID.

Leaving AIU and Length of Stay in Japan

Image of a visa

The Visa date of expiry is the date by which you must enter Japan. Once you are in the country, you can ignore this date.

Image of landing permission seal

The landing permission seal shows your initial allowed duration of stay in Japan. Once you have your residence card, then you only need to refer to the date on the Residence Card.

Image of residence card

The Date of Expiration on your Residence Card is the date that shows how long you can stay in Japan. However, you must leave the country or change to a new Residence Status (and get a new Residence Card) within 14 days of your last day of classes at AIU.

You must leave Japan or apply to change to another Residence Status within 14 days of your last day of classes at AIU, or you will be considered an illegal immigrant, even if you have time left until the Date of Expiration on your Residence Card.

You may not stay in Japan for job-hunting, tourism, or other purposes on a Student Residence Status. If you will be staying in Japan to enroll in another university, start a job or internship, or for any other reason, you must contact your sponsoring organization for instructions as to how to change your Residence Status.

Even if you will stay in Japan as a student at another school, you must change to a new Student Residence Status sponsored by that university.

If you change your Residence Status to "Short-Term Stay" to remain in Japan as a tourist, please understand that National Health Insurance will become invalid immediately after that change, so you will become responsible for paying 100% of any medical bills after that time. Make sure that the validity dates of your self-purchased traveler's insurance cover your entire stay, including any tourism periods.

Applying to Extend your Period of Stay

If you extend your studies at AIU, then you may have to apply to extend the Date of Expiration on your Residence Card. The Center for International Affairs will contact all students who successfully apply to extend their studies and provide instructions as to how to apply to extend their Date of Expiration. You can apply to extend your stay no more than 3 months before your Date of Expiration, but the Center for International Affairs will inform you of the relevant deadlines and forms.

Important Links

Immigration Bureau of Japan

Detailed information about the new residency management system (Effecting July 2012) is available at the following webpage:

Center for International Affairs
Akita International University Yuwa, Akita-City 010-1292 Japan
Tel. +81-(0)18-886-5936, +81-(0)18-886-5937
Fax. +81-(0)18-886-5853
Inbound Students :
Outbound Students :
Office Hours (Mon - Fri) 9:00 - 12:00 and 13:00 - 17:00